Anybody who volunteers at Peninsula Park Rose Garden is automatically a member of the Friends of Peninsula Park Rose Garden. We are a group of neighbors from the North and Northeast Portland community, and gardeners from the greater Portland area who love to get outside, especially when that means helping out in this garden gem. You might think that we’re all fanatic rose growers (well, there are some of those) but no. We are a mix of experienced and beginning gardeners, Master Gardeners, and neighbors who love Peninsula Park, and the rose garden.
The Friends group was officially founded as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. As such, we do have an active board, consisting of garden volunteers, with career experience in the law, finance, marketing, technology, education, medicine, and public administration. But what binds us all is a love for gardens, and for this garden, in particular.
Our board members serve 3 year terms and can often be found in the garden, especially on Fridays (snack days!). Current board members are:
- Pat Frobes, President
- Yvonne Boisvert, Vice President
- Lillian Salminen, Secretary/Treasurer
- Carolyn Bailey, Volunteer Coordinator
- Judy Farmer, Board Member
- Mark Smallwood, Board Member
- Elizabeth Parkman, Board Member
- William Coffman, Board Member
- Susan Atwood, Board Member
- Robert Hrdlicka, Board Member
- Kimberly Bown, Board Member (Ex-Officio)
We welcome you to join us, as casual or regular volunteers in the garden, at one of our special events, or on our board. Please send an email or just show up on one of our regular volunteering days!